I received my blood test results this past Thursday from the Lindora nurse. My thyroid is normal. I’m not at all anemic. And my glucose is great (so no risk of diabetes). However, I have several risk factors that make me highly sensitive to developing heart disease:
- High cholesterol – My overall cholesterol is too high (202 – should be between 135-200).
My good cholesterol (HDL) is too low at 39 (should be over 50).
My bad cholesterol (LDL) is too high at 135 (should be under 100).
- Abdominal Obesity (Women > 35″ Men > 40″ Waist Circumference) – mine is 43.5″ (Okay, I can’t believe I’m publishing this stuff, but this is so I am even more publicly motivated to take care of this problem.)
- Blood Pressure (>=130/>=85) – Mine was 140 / 100 on Thursday. However, on Friday, it was 120/70, so it fluctuates – I’m not terribly worried about this factor.
The nurse gave me a “Metabolic Syndrome Treatment Plan” which lists two other risk factors that don’t apply to me: high blood sugar level and high triglycerides. Thank God. The treatment for the “syndrome” is basically to follow the Lindora program.
Lindora’s 3 Prep Days: An Exercise in Moderation
After my pre-Lindora-Clinic, unofficial start the first week of August (where I stayed on track every day), I had three official Prep Days (Tuesday through Thursday) where it was okay to splurge. This was an exercise in moderation. For snacks during the day, I had dry roasted peanuts. For dinner, I enjoyed a big slice of Costco pepperoni pizza the first night, a Tommy’s burger and chili cheese fries the next, and on my final night, a taco plate (2 shredded beef tacos, rice and beans with chips and salsa). I reported this to my Lindora consultant and she nodded and smiled.
I didn’t splurge on sweets at all during those three days—no cakes, cookies, ice cream or candy. And when I weighed in Friday morning, I hadn’t gained anything!
My overarching goal with my weight loss is to learn moderation—to be able to go off track and get right back on it the next day. To know I can enjoy a break from the program and not go crazy off kilter was very encouraging. I plan to be on this train for a very long time. If I’m going to splurge, it seems perhaps I can overdo it on protein without taking too many steps backward.
Lindora’s 3 Protein Days
These days aren’t easy. Hunger is a pretty constant companion—you must eat a protein serving every 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Because I had to eat so often, I was thinking about food all the time. I got a headache my first day and felt pretty groovy my second day. Felt pretty tired and headachey on my third day, and looking forward to eating fruits and veggies tomorrow.
If it weren’t for Lindora’s protein products, I couldn’t stand it. I’m not a huge fan of chicken or beef—I like it much better when it’s mixed with a salad or a sauce or something (or between two pieces of bread)—not straight up plain.
Friday was my first on-program visit to the Lindora clinic. I waited about ten minutes before my name was called and I was ushered into a room. I stood on the scale. The consultant advised me to complete my daily action plan, to eat between 50 and 80 carbs a day, to drink 80 ounces of water throughout the day (but to limit my diet soda to two 12-ounce serving per day), to take my vitamins and sugar-free fiber supplement. I was given a B-12 shot in the arm to increase my metabolism, give me a boost of energy, and improve my mood.
I asked the consultant, “When I’m on the weight loss menu plan, about how many grams of fat am I taking in?”
She said, “Under 20. Basically, you need to stay under 20 grams of fat per day to lose weight.”
I also asked, “Back in 2002, when I did this program, I was told to only count 13 of the carbs in the protein bars. The package says 21 carbs. Is that still correct?”
She said, “Yes. Read the label, take the total carbs and subtract the grams of fiber. That will give you your total useable carbs that need to be counted.”
Here’s my food for the 3 Protein Days:
Friday, August 5, 2011
Pedometer steps: 11,417
Exercise: Nothing formal. Walked around an antique auction preview during my lunch break. Walked to and from my car at work (up a very steep hill and back down again). Went to the movies with my husband, and walked 2 laps around the enormous Edwards Theatre and then up and down the stadium-seating style steps twice.
- 7:30am 1 c skim milk (12), 1 tsp. Sugar-free Metamucil fiber (2), 2 chewable vitamins (3)
- 9:30am Lindora Oatmeal Raisin protein bar (13), coffee (black)
- 11am 1 oz. String Cheese (1)
- 1:15pm Lindora BBQ Soy Puffs (8), 12 oz. Diet Coke (0)
- 2:45pm 1/2 c Dannon fat free vanilla yogurt (10)
- 5:15pm Lindora Chocolate Chocolate protein bar (13)
- 7:45pm 2.5 oz El Pollo Loco Chicken breast (0), 32 oz. Diet Coke
- 10pm Lindora Strawberry Kiwi protein drink (0.5) – Nasty. I didn’t like it at all.
- Total Carbs: 62.5
Saturday, August 6, 2011
Pedometer steps: 10,363
Exercise: Nothing formal, again. Cleaned house all morning. Mowed the lawn in the evening.
- 7:30am 1 c skim milk (12), 1 tsp. Sugar-free Metamucil fiber (2), 2 chewable vitamins (3), coffee (0), Coffee-mate sugar free creamer (2)
- 10:30am 1 oz. String Cheese (1)
- 12:15pm 2.5 oz. chicken (0), fried in 1 t. olive oil (0), 12 oz. Diet Squirt (0)
- 2:30pm Lindora Chocolate Chocolate protein bar (13)
- 5:45pm 4 Lindora Vanilla Orange Dream Cookies (6) – NEW! See Desserts for recipe.
- 8:15pm Lindora Oatmeal Raisin protein bar (13)
- 10pm Lindora Creamy Hot Cocoa (6)
- Total Carbs: 58
Sunday, August 7, 2011
Pedometer steps: 11,438
Exercise: This evening, I took a 1 hour, 15 minute walk in my neighborhood. It felt fantastic! I found a huge stretch of nice, level sidewalk with no driveway dips. Listening to workout music on my iPod, I got into a great rhythm. There were lots of people out with their dogs or their babies in strollers or by themselves taking a walk/jog.
- 9:30am Lindora Oatmeal Raisin protein bar (13), Sugar-free Metamucil fiber (2), 2 chewable vitamins (3), coffee (0), Coffee-mate sugar free creamer (2)
- 11:30am 1 c skim milk (12)
- 1:45pm 1/2 c Dannon fat-free yogurt (10)
- 3:30pm 2.5 oz Lemon Garlic Shrimp (1) – superb! See Main Dishes for recipe. It included 1 tsp olive oil and a lemon wedge (1); 12 oz. Diet Squirt
- 5:30pm Lindora Chocolate Chocolate protein bar (13)
- 8:30pm 4 Lindora Vanilla Orange Dream Cookies (6)
- Total Carbs: 63