After successfully completing my 3 Protein Days, I went in to the Lindora clinic Monday morning. I signed in, took a keto stick to the restroom, and got some good color (a mid-pink on their scale of white to burgundy) indicating my body was in ketosis. I was called in to one of the exam rooms immediately. The consultant was pleased that I had walked over 10,000 steps each day (as captured by my pedometer). I stepped on to the scale and voila! I lost 4 pounds since Friday. 7 all together! The journey has begun in earnest.
Last evening, my husband and I signed up for a gym membership at LA Fitness. Serious commitment land for both of us. Now we’re in some money and a pledge of time. We’re still figuring out our schedule… should we go together in the evenings? (We’ve already missed this evening as we’re both not feeling well). Should I go by myself in the morning, and my husband go by himself late at night? We’ll figure it out very soon. I have an appointment for a Personal Fitness Assessment on Thursday evening as part of the membership.
I am very aware of the time commitment it will take to get healthy. In the past, dinner often consisted of “another supper, from a sack, a 99 cent heart attack” (as Tim McGraw so sagely sings). Driving to the gym last night, as we passed a plethora of fast food joints—Taco Bell, KFC, In-N-Out, McDonalds, Burger King, Wienerschnitzel—I thought about how easy it is to just drive up, pay a very small amount of money, and leave with quite a lot of food with absolutely no effort. I felt no temptation, but I could imagine these institutions of America as Sirens, singing their hypnotic songs and waving their sinewy arms, beckoning the people in… Shut up, ladies. I’m taking care of business.
Now, I need to plan ahead. The fridge needs to be stocked with fruits and veggies and healthy meats. Tonight I stopped at Costco and bought their extremely yummy, $5 rotisserie chicken. That right there is a healthy fast food choice. And inexpensive. After parking the car, it took many, many steps to walk all the way to the back of the warehouse, pluck up my chicken, and walk all the way back through the registers and to my car. My pedometer clicked pleasantly the entire time as I zoomed past strolling shoppers.
Here’s my food for today, Tuesday, August 9, 2011
Pedometer steps: 7,221
Exercise: Nothing formal. A long walk to do an errand instead of driving
- 7:30am 3/4 c Cheerios (12), 1 c skim milk (12), Coffee (0) with 2 Tbsp sugar free Coffee-mate vanilla creamer (2), 1 tsp Sugar Free Metamucil (2), 2 chewable adult vitamins (3)
- 10am Lindora Oatmeal Raisin protein bar (13), coffee (0) with 2 T regular Coffee-mate Vanilla Creamer (6) – off program
- 1:30pm 2.5 oz imitation crab (1), 1 c cucumber (3), 1 T sugar-free rice vinegar (0), a few drops of sesame oil (0), 2 c Romaine lettuce (3), 12 oz Diet Squirt (missed my fruit due to lack of time)
- 4pm 1 oz string cheese (1), 3 oz Chardonnay white wine (3) – Yes, this was a big no-no and off program. I looked it up on About.com — Alcoholic Beverages on a Low Carb Diet beforehand and saw that Chardonnay only has 3 carbs, so thought it might be okay. Let’s see what it does to me. Feeling kinda guilty about it.
- 7:30pm 2.5 oz Costco rotisserie chicken breast (0), 2 c Romaine lettuce (3), 1/4 c carrots (4), 1/2 c celery (2), 1 peach (10), 1 tsp olive oil (0), 12 oz Diet Squirt (0)
- Total carbs: 80
Monday, August 8, 2011
Pedometer steps: 12,898
Exercise: 30 minutes on the treadmill
- 7:30am 3/4 c Cheerios (12), 1 c skim milk (12), coffee (0) with 2 Tbsp sugar free Coffee-mate vanilla creamer (2), 1 tsp Sugar Free Metamucil (2), 2 chewable adult vitamins (3)
- 10am 1 oz string cheese (1)
- 1pm Strawberry Freeze: 1/2 c cottage cheese (4), 1 c strawberries (11), 1/2 c. sugar free raspberry jello, 2 c Romaine lettuce (3), 1/2 c Chinese pea pods (6.5), 1/2 c cucumber (2), 12 oz Diet Pepsi (0)
- 4pm Lindora Chocolate Chocolate bar (13)
- 7:30pm 2.5 oz Tilapia white fish (0), 1 tsp olive oil (0), juice from 2 lemon wedges (3), 2 c Romaine lettuce (3), 1/4 c Chinese pea pods (4), 1 peach (10), 12 oz Diet Squirt (0)
- Total carbs: 89.5